Cinnamon grows up to 15-20m high, with strong branches and thick scabrous bark with young shoots speckled greeny-orange leave. The trees are allowed to grow unless they turn to uniform brown by formation of cork. Harvesting is done in rainy season. The leaves have a spicy smell when bruised. Essential oil extracted by water or steam distillation from the leaves and twigs.
- Sanskrit : Darusita
- Oriya : Dalchini
- Hindi : Dalchini
- Greekk : Kinnámōmon
- Malayalam : Karuva
- French : Cannelle
- Persian : Darchin
- Turkish : Tarçın
- Telugu : Dalchini chekka
- Kannada : Mendium, Ventaiyam
- English : Cinnamon bark
- Urdu : Methi
Contains cinnamaldehyde, eugenol, benzaldehyde, cuminaldehyde, phellandrene, pinene, cymene, caryophyllene etc.
- Cinnamon's essential oils act as an "anti-microbial agent" which is used to stop the growth of bacteria as well as fungi.
- It is published in Bulletin of Insectology 61 (1): 1-4, 2008 that antimicrobial activity of cinnamon (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) essential oil and its main components against Paenibacillus larvae from Argentine.
- Ground cinnamon is used in diarrhea and dysentery; for cramps of the stomach, gastric irritation; for checking nausea and vomiting; used externally in toothache, neuralgia and rheumatism.
- In Ayurveda and in folklore medicine, cinnamon is used for the treatment of diabetes. Researcher demonstrates that cinnamon reported to reduce the blood glucose level in non-insulin dependent diabetes.
- Due to having anti-oxidant property cinnamon & it’s essential oil have been used as preservative in food.
- Essential oil of Cinnamon used against the Gram-positive bacteria Enterococcus faecalis, Bacillus cereus, and also against the gram negative bacteria like E. Coli, Aspergillus niger etc.
In Medicinal Preparation
- The bark is included in medicinal preparations for indigestion, flatulence, flu, mouth washes, gargles, herbal teas.
- Bark is used as carminative, astringent, antispasmodic, expectorant, and haemostatic, antiseptic.
- Leaf is used as Antidiabetic.
Therapeutics uses in Ayurveda
- Hridroga(cardiac ailments)
- Krimiroga(Worm infections),
- Mukhasosa(Dry mouth/sore mouth)
- Kanthamukharoga(Throat and oral diseases),
- Pinasa(Sinusitis, Coriza)
- Vastiroga(Colorectal Diseases)